Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Car Crash

I had a pretty scary day last Monday - I got into a car crash.

I was on my way to the gym after getting off work early, and I was stopped just past a light - there was some traffic or something, I'm not exactly sure what, but when the car in front of me is stopped, I try to do the same. I was stopped for a good 5-10 seconds, and a car came through the light, didn't realize we were stopped, and hit me going somewhere between 35 and 40 mph. The momentum pushed me into the car in front of me, and when it was all done, my car was at least 40 feet away from the car that hit me. As many of you know who read this blog, I don't technically have my own car - I borrow my mom's and my grandma's cars, depending on who needs theirs any given day. That day I had my mom's car, a 2005 Honda Accord.

The important part is that everyone was okay. I was freaking out big time after the crash - I couldn't find my phone, as it flew somewhere in the car when I was hit. My dad works in radio and had just gotten on the air about 5 minutes before the accident, and my mom was in a staff meeting and not answering her phone. Furthermore, I was supposed to pick my mom up in a few hours since I had her car.

It all worked out in the end - I got through to my mom on the man I was hit into's cell phone, eventually found my phone in the car, and my mom got a ride out to the crash from a coworker. She managed to get a message delivered to my dad so that he knew what was going on and to find out where he wanted the car towed to (it wasn't drivable). The man my car was hit into stayed and ended up driving me and my mom home since we had no car. It's wonderful how nice people can be in a time of need.

So the bad news - I got mild whiplash from the accident. I had to take 2 of my 3 days of work off last week because of my stiff neck. With all the driving I do, if my neck is bothering me and I am unable to turn it properly, I am putting the work car in danger as well as myself. I also was only scheduled for one day this week - Friday in Gainesville - because I wasn't sure of my speed of recovery. The person who hit me's car is likely totaled, and we just found out today that my car wasn't totaled, but the repairs are going to be quite high - thank god for insurance! was completely totaled (insurance changed their mind). We should be getting a check shortly for the value of the car and have to go shopping for a new one.

Other than that all is well. I've watched lots of Doctor Who, done some major cleaning of my room, and slept in, a luxury I don't have with work. I am just glad everyone was okay! I drove again for the first time today - neck still a bit stiff when turning it, but I wasn't too bad. May have had a mild panic attack every time a car came up behind me when I was stopped at a light, but that will pass. Just want to heal on up so I can get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment