Tuesday, February 28, 2012

So Long America

Current Location: Washington DC

The stress of the past week has made it very difficult for me to write. I tried to write about packing and goodbyes, about the Peace Corps event on UF campus and more packing, but it was really just too hard to document at the moment. Just know that I managed to get close to the 80 pound limit, will need things brought to me once my family visits later this year, and managed to say my goobyes.

In a few short hours (1.5 hours really, but who's counting?), I will be checking out of our hotel and heading to the airport to begin the journey. Staging today was wonderful - there are about 40 amazing volunteers that I can't wait to get to know better. We had some ice breakers, some skits (in which I expertly portrayed a pig that was slaughtered - good to know those acting classes paid off, right mom and dad?), and a visit from Director Williams. One of the best parts of that was that he actually remembered me from the talk at UF, where I went and introduced myself. I felt so honored when he came to speak to me directly. It really was a great way to start my Peace Corps journey.

I want to thank everyone that has been behind me these past 18 months as I applied, interviewed, gained medical clearance, waited for an invite, received an invite, had that invite rescinded, and received a new invite! I couldn't have done this without all the support from family and friends! I can't wait to share all my adventures with you all as they come!

2 comments:

  1. I'm absurdly proud of you Javvy. Take care of yourself <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay so excited for you! Sending you happy thoughts from Paraguay those first few days are the best.

    ReplyDelete