In about 2 month, new volunteers will be entering the country, and I will no longer be one of the "new" volunteers. I know that when I was preparing to leave, I was looking for lots of suggestions on how to pack. So for you future volunteers, here are the top 5 items that I brough with me to the DR! I hope it helps with your packing.
- My laptop and external harddrive - I have tons of movies on my external as well for at night when I need to hear English for a while
- My headlamp – in the night when I need to use the bathroom, or when la luz se fue and I want to write in my journal. Every PCDR volunteer (and honestly, probably every Peace Corps volunteer in general) needs a headlamp.
- My kindle – the ability to check email occasionally in the campo is god sent, and I love having so many books
- Several water bottles – I already lost one on a bus, backups are great!
- 7 different colored tank tops – I wear these about 80% of the time!