Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Medical Clearance! (almost)

So after over 10 weeks of waiting and nervousness I am (almost) medically cleared! This morning, I woke up oddly early, considering I was planning on sleeping until noon. For some reason, I naturally woke up at 9 AM. I was a bit annoyed at first, but it turns out it was all for a good reason! I first checked my email and I saw there was an email from my nurse! She told me that she was going to start on my application today! I was so excited I started jumping up and down in my room! After over 2 months, I was starting to feel depressed and pessimistic about the whole thing and afraid I wasn't going to make my departure date. 30 minutes later I get a call! Turns out I was missing one of the hep B tests, but other than that, I was going to be cleared. Sadly, because of my allergies and borderline asthma, I am going to have a flag on my account regarding which countries I can go to. I was a little disappointed, but I know that I do have legitimate health concerns, and I appreciate the Peace Corps looking out for my safety and health. I would rather have a flag and be sent to a country where I can safely complete my 2 years of service rather than having to leave early because of a health condition.

I just went to the doctor and got the blood drawn for the last Hep B test. Turns out last time when they tested the Hep B series, they tested for the wrong surface test? antigen instead of antibody? I'm not exactly sure, but the correct test was ordered this time. I should have my results in 2 days, and hopefully clear medical by the end of this week.

I'm seriously on cloud 9 right now! Everyone stressing out about medical - it will get there!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! how exciting! What month are you nominated to leave for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am nominated for August/September in Central or South America. My area is Environmental and Water Resources Engineering

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved hearing this Jenni. I'm in a similar situation, supposed to be leaving to Central/South America in mid-August, and dying to hear back about medical! Hopefully I'll hear soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally in the same boat - my husband and I have had our medicals in since last November and we're waiting to hear back about our medicals. We are nominated for Central/South America leaving in August - maybe we'll end up in the same place! Take care, Marisa

    ReplyDelete