Friday, April 29, 2011

The New Waiting Game

So I had the waiting game for medical clearance.... now we are on to the waiting game for placement!

Luckily, with the end of the semester projects, papers, assignments, etc, I am staying so busy I am not having a lot of time to obsess about it, which is definitely good for my mental health (or bad, depending on how you look at it - I'm certainly freaking out constantly about Senior Design, so it's a different kind of worry). It's been a week since medical clearance, and still no word from placement requesting a new resume. I know this part can take several weeks, so I'm not worried, but I am hoping it will happen soon! Sadly, with my moving in less than 3 weeks, it probably won't happen before I have to change my address. My fear is that they will contact me in like, 1.5-2 weeks and I will have to tell them to send the invitation to my new address, and then what if it arrives before I get home? Yikes, the anticipation would be killer! I'm trying to avoid thinking about it.

Weirdly enough, even though my letter was sent and I've talked to my nurse and know I was cleared, my letter still hasn't shown up. Damn Columbia Mail Services for taking forever! I keep checking because there was supposed to be something related to my allergies and I was hoping the letter would have more detailed information about it. Hopefully it will show up early next week.

I am also starting to get a little more concerned about my nomination. I was nominated for Central and South America, and from other PC Journals and their discussions with their placement officers, it seems that that is the region experiencing the biggest cuts in programs. My spanish is shaky, and I am concerned that I could get changed regions. I am definitely more interested in what I am doing than in where I am, but after imagining it for 5 months (and taking a semester of Spanish to refresh and improve my speaking skills), it's hard to think how I would react to a change in region. Spanish would also be really useful in my future career, so I really hope that it will still work out. I also am not sure what I will do if I am deferred to leave later than August/September. I have absolutely no plans after graduation. I'm worried enough about having 3-4 months with nothing to do. Should I start job hunting? Look for a temp job just in case? There is so much unknown, and it's really hard to know what to do. Just preparing myself for a curveball and to be sent to Asia or Europe in November or something! Wherever things end up working out, I'll make the best of it!

1 comment:

  1. Jenni I feel the same way. We were medically cleared at the same time and I haven't heard from placement either. I've read that one person was told a departure date of 6 months to a year. So our region, job, and departure time could all change. I hope we hear something soon!

    ReplyDelete