Friday, May 4, 2012

Top 5 Friday – Top 5 strangest foods I’ve been served


The food it the DR has in general been fairly good, though repetitive. There is a lot of rice and beans and viveres. However, on a few occasions, I have been served some odd foods. Sometimes they are good, sometimes bad, but in general, weird things. So, for this Top 5 Friday, I present the 5 strangest foods I’ve been served in the DR.

  1. Ramen Noodles for breakfast. I feel like I’m in college again!
  2. “Avena.” Avena is oatmeal, but here, they don’t like the oats, so they grind the oats into a powder and add chocolate and sugar, so it’s basically like thick hot chocolate. It is served with some bread. Bread and hot chocolate for dinner. Dinner of champions
  3. Fried hot dog for breakfast. Or dinner. Or both. Enough said.
  4. Boiled yucca with bacalao (dried salted fish). The one time I’ve had to choke down the food given to me. And it was for breakfast. Who eats dried fish and starchy vegetables for breakfast?
  5. Fried Mayonnaise Sandwich. 

No comments:

Post a Comment