Tuesday, February 1, 2011

NOLA, Dentist, and Dance Marathon

Current Location: New York, NY

Bahhh!!! I'm so behind in life! I kept meaning to update this sooner with New Orleans, but of course, life got in the way. All sorts of exciting news going on though!

So NOLA was really fun. It was a great trip, but too short. I wish I had more time to explore the city. I arrived the first night very late and we just went to bed - Friday was to be a busy day! On Friday, we split into two different groups - one group went to Lafayette and Baton Rouge with the car, and the other group was to stay in New Orleans for meetings. It was decided that Julie and I were to be the two who stayed in New Orleans. We met with two different professionals about Wetland Growth in the New Orleans area as an example to base our senior design project off of. I won't bore you with all the details, but it was very productive! That night, a few of us went to the restaurant "Mothers" which was delicious! The NOLA food is great! We headed to Bourbon Street that night, and wow - nothing like it! It's such an odd feeling drinking on the street like its no problem! It was a crazy atmosphere there though, and a lot of fun. So much live music and fun! The next day was for us to explore the city some, particularly the French Quarter. We got delicious beignets and wandered around doing some shopping. It was really fun. Sadly, Sunday we were heading back to NYC for classes. I can't wait to plan another trip back there at some point!

On Wednesday, I had my final appointment for my Peace Corps Medical and Dental clearance - the dentist. I was a little bit freaking out for it - I hadn't been to a dentist in 2.5 years as well as I have the unhealthy habit of drinking Diet Coke. I was really afraid that I was going to have a bunch of cavities to get filled. Imagine my surprise and happiness to discover that I had no cavities at all!! So all my paperwork is done, and was mailed in last week. Now I have the waiting game for medical and legal clearance... I'm so impatient! Given my expected departure date and the fact that it usually takes 4-6 weeks, I should hopefully be medically cleared by the end of March and get my invitation in April for some time in August or September. Eeek! I will be sure to keep everyone updates as my clearances go through - PC should be receiving my paperwork any day!!

This past weekend was the annual Dance Marathon. I have been involved with it for all 4 years of college - my freshman year I was a moraler, my sophomore year I was a dancer, my junior year I was on steering, and for my senior year I went back to be a dancer. Let me back up for a second though. For those of you who do not know, Columbia University Dance Marathon is a fundraiser to raise funds and awareness about Pediatric AIDS. All funds are donated to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS foundation, which works to prevent transmission to HIV from mother to child and to treat infected mothers and children so they can live healthy lives. This year was different form the past marathons because it was only for 18 hours - in the past years it has been 28! However, from my exhaustion from my trips to Chile and New Orleans, it was actually really hard this year. I made it though, and had a great time. As you all know, I love to give back to philanthropic organizations (hence my interest in the Peace Corps), and it was great to be involved in such an amazing event for all 4 years of college.

Other than that, school has been good - I am loving my Spanish class and I'm learning a lot. I was looking through my book last night, and by the end of the class I am going to be able to hopefully say a lot of stuff! Definitely going to help my vocab and grammar. Fingers crossed for a Spanish speaking PC country!!!

Love to all my amazing readers, and I'll update again as soon as I have something worth updating about!

No comments:

Post a Comment